I first heard the idea to host Personal Quarterly Off-Sites in a podcast. The basic premise is that we are all CEO and President of our own lives. And just like the C-suite of a company takes time every 90 days to assess where they have been and where they are going, so should we.
I already was half-way down the path to this idea when I found it. My best girlfriends and I have a tradition of sharing our goals for the year and checking in with each other every quarter. That usually means that I spend an hour reviewing my goals for the year, measuring my progress, and deciding what I plan to do in the next quarter, all while simultaneously crafting an email to let them know how I've done. Setting aside a day for a Personal Quarterly Off-Site promised to add a layer of reflection and introspection to my process. And I was excited to give it a try.
Cory is reflective and super goal-oriented so he was on board to join me. And I was so thankful to have him. Some things don't become real until you say them out loud. And some things will sit forever in your blind spot until someone you trust points them out. If you do hold your own Personal Quarterly Off-Site, I recommend you recruit a friend to join you. You'll be amazed at what you can uncover when you're working together.
I wanted to be sure that we were maximizing our wellbeing throughout the day. First, so that we could review the past quarter with the right amount of perspective and respect for our efforts. It would be too easy to be hard on ourselves if we got up on the wrong side of the bed. And I wanted to ensure we had access to our creativity and optimism when we were designing our actions for the next quarter.
So I created an agenda that balanced reflection, assessment, and planning with meditation, movement, and delicious meals. And it worked out great! We kept our energy high. We accomplished what we needed to do. And we have actionable, measurable goals to accomplish in the next 90 days to move us ever closer to achieving our intentions for the year.
I’m so proud of the outcome that I decided to share our agenda and reflection questions here. Please use in good health! And if you do, please let me know how it goes!
Personal Quarterly Off-Site Agenda
- 0645: Wake up and make coffee (we are early risers, even on the weekends)
- 0715: Sunrise on the roof (with coffee)
- 0730: Meditation (we used a guided meditation from headspace)
- 0745: Make Bulletproof Coffee (to supercharge our brains for the first segment)
- 0800: A retrospective on the first quarter (an expanded upon version of a blog by Danielle Laporte, details below)
- 1000: A squat workout and showers
- 1100: Walk to a delicious brunch
- 1200: Reflect on the role your Core Desired Feelings and Personal Values played over the past quarter (details below)
- 1300: Design goals and intentions for the next quarter (details below)
- 1400: Watch a motivational documentary
- 1500: Get a massage
- 1630: Debrief offsite and plan for the next one
A retrospective on the first quarter:
- Take three minutes and list the major highlights of the first quarter
- Share them with your partner. What patterns do they see? What's missing?
- What patterns do you see? What on that list most gives you joy?
- What mattered most to you in the last quarter, whether it was on the list or not?
- Review your goals and intentions for the year, for each goal or intention answer:
- What did I do to achieve this goal?
- How did I feel?
- What new insight do I have about this goal based on the first few questions in the retrospective?
Reflect on the role your Core Desired Feelings and Personal Values played over the past quarter:
- List and define each of your Core Desired Feelings and Personal Values
- Describe times during the last quarter that you most felt each of your Core Desired Feelings and expressed each of your Personal Values.
- Looking back, was anything about the last quarter out of sync with your Core Desired Feelings or Personal Values?
- Looking forward, do you need to make any changes to your goals or intentions in light of today’s work?
Design Goals and Intentions for the Next Quarter:
For each goal or intention, work with your partner to brainstorm the things you could do in the next 90 days to move you toward achievement. Then narrow the list down to the few things you are going to commit to doing.
We're all trying to do great things, including me. Sign up here to receive a weekly Rise and Shine! email with exclusive content about my own journey; Monday morning musings designed to motivate and inspire.